Home Editorial Al-Qatrani announces to cancel Barqa meeting, why?

Al-Qatrani announces to cancel Barqa meeting, why?

348
0
SHARE
Internet

LIBYAPROSPECT – Editorial

The boycotting member of the Presidential Council (PC) of the Government of National Accord (GNA), Ali Al-Qatrani, announced, on Tuesday, the cancellation of the meeting, which was decided to be held on Thursday in Benghazi.

Al-Qatrani, in his statement, said that the reason for cancelling the meeting is because there are sides in Barqa province prepare for using the meeting to gain personal benefits.

Al-Qatrani stressed his commitment to the rights of Barqa province concerning the equitable distribution of wealth, financial, oil, and gas revenues, as well as investment portfolios.

Observers said that cancelling the meeting was decided after the visit of the French Foreign Minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian, to Libya to meet some official personalities including the commander of the Dignity Operation, General Khalifa Haftar.

A source said that France told Haftar to order Al-Qatrani and the other PC member, Fathi El-Majbari, not to announce exiting the Political Agreement.

The source stated that France warned Haftar of withdrawing from the Political Agreement as this step might consider Haftar as an obstacle in front of the peace operation in Libya.

It is worth mentioning that Al-Qatrani and El-Majbari, announced, on Monday, that Barqa Province was outside the Libyan Political Agreement.

In the same context, El-Majbari announced, last week, his withdrawal from the PC, stressing that Tripoli is no longer qualified for any political actions and the decisions of the head of the PC, Fayez Al-Sarraj, are linked to the militias in Tripoli.