LIBYAPROSPECT – The Hague
The Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC), Fatou Bensouda, repeated in a statement, on Friday, her appeal to arrest the field commander of the Dignity Operation, Mahmud Al-Werfalli, after he executed ten prisoners without court against ten people in Benghazi, on Wednesday.
Bensouda said that she is “deeply concerned” by the two car bombings in Benghazi that killed more than 30 prisoners. She added that she is “equally appalled” by the images that showed Al-Warfalli killing the ten people “in what appears to constitute retaliation” nearby the same place of the bombings.
Bensouda stressed that “these bombings and executions demand both condemnation and meaningful response.”
Bensouda called the commander of the Dignity Operation, General Khalifa Haftar, the leader of Al-Werfalli, to cooperate with the Libyan authorities to arrest Al-Werfalli and hand him over to the ICC.
Bensouda said that “I am dismayed that Al-Werfalli appears to remain in a position of command, and allegedly continues to commit crimes with impunity, despite an official statement from the General Command of the Libyan National Army in August 2017 that Al-Werfalli had been arrested and was under investigation by a military prosecutor.”
Bensouda called the International Community to support and help Libya in arresting Al-Werfalli.
On the other side, Haftar’s army stressed that it had not issued any orders to arrest Al-Werfalli.
Haftar’s army denied the circulated news about issuing an order to arrest Al-Werfalli.
It is essential mentioning that the Libyan social media, circulated, on Wednesday, images showing Al-Werfalli shooting the heads of ten unknown captured prisoners with their hands tied back and blindfolded wearing blue uniforms. No one knows the reasons for killing them this way.
Moreover, it is not the first time for Al-Werfalli to kill prisoners the same way. Last July, a video was circulated on social media showed Al-Werfalli executing 20 tied detainees without trial.
Earlier than that, in March, the social media had circulated other video showed Al-Werfalli shooting three prisoners in Benghazi.
In an international reaction to those crimes, the ICC issued an arrest warrant against Al-Werfalli, because of his war crimes.
The ICC decision accused Al-Werfalli of executing more than 30 prisoners between June 2016 and July 2017 in Benghazi.