LIBYAPROSPECT – Heba Mahmoud
It seems that the capital Tripoli is about to witness a new wave of military and security escalation, as the convoy carrying the leaders of the Presidential Council (PC) came under fire, on Monday.
Even though no party claimed the attack, but the fact that the incident occurred close to the Salvation Government headquarter, the rival to the PC, indicates its involvement.
A statement by the head of the PC, Fayez Al-Sarraj, and the media bureau of the State Council chairman included accusations to the Salvation Government. Both said that they were attacked close to the presidential palaces, the headquarter of the Salvation Government, said a report by New Al-Araby (translated here by LIBYAPROSPECT).
One source stated that Al-Sarraj held a security meeting with the participation of the head of the State Council, Abdel Rahman Al-Swehly and the head of Presidential Guards, Najmi Al-Nakua. The source added that “the meeting resulted in a pack of urgent procedures to be applied soon in Tripoli, under the auspices of the Presidential Guards, in coordination with the Interior and Defense Ministries.” He pointed that “the Interior Ministry would deploy forces from police and rapid reaction forces. Also, police stations to be reactivated within a plan called security profess.”
But he pointed that “the armed confrontation with the Salvation Government battalions will be delayed until we see the outcomes of the tense contacts carried out with Misrata, Al-Zawya, Zlitin, and Gheryan military councils, where they were asked to retreat their groups that arrived recently to Tripoli to join the Salvation Government National Guards.”
Regarding the details, the source said that “Al-Nakua, accompanied Al-Sarraj to Moscow, was informed by one NATO leader that their intention to warn the head of the Salvation Government, Khalifa Al-Ghuwel, of spreading chaos in Tripoli.” He added that “Al-Sarraj’s opening of the General Intelligence apparatus comes within plans to reactivate the Presidential Security Guards. The new headquarter contains modern equipment, will be managed by employees arrived last month, after receiving training sessions in Britain.”
The same source also disclosed that “attacking Al-Sarraj convoy is an individual act by one militia affiliated to Al-Ghuwel, who doesn’t actually control his forces, it also might be hasty reaction, which will undermine their influence in Tripoli.” He confirmed that Al-Sarraj is facing international and regional pressures to “manifest security in Tripoli, control it, after being accused that he politically exploited the victories of Al-Bunyan Al-Marsous forces in Sirte, but it was proved that Al-Sarraj doesn’t control the forces, as most of them announced loyalty to the opposed government.”
The source also said that “things are likely to get accelerated in the coming hours, for Al-Sarraj to control the city: but he excluded any armed confrontations with Al-Ghuwel forces, who are also pushed to leave the capital.”
The question remains whether Al-Ghuwel would comply with demands to leave the capital, and he actually might to do it, which makes all scenarios available including the armed struggle.Statements by the Arab League envoy to Libya, Salah-Din Jamali, in Tunisia, on Monday, pointed to the security developments inside Tripoli, describing it as “security surprises.” He also regarded the situation in Tripoli “very concerning,” adding that “the armed groups deploying their military machines inside the city and security threats precipitated the ministerial meeting of Libya neighbors to discuss all elements of the Libyan crisis.”
Statements by the Arab League envoy to Libya, Salah-Din Jamali, in Tunisia, on Monday, pointed to the security developments inside Tripoli, describing it as “security surprises.” He also regarded the situation in Tripoli “very concerning,” adding that “the armed groups deploying their military machines inside the city and security threats precipitated the ministerial meeting of Libya neighbors to discuss all elements of the Libyan crisis.”