LIBYAPROSPECT – London
The French Ministry of Defence (MoD) said in a statement, On Wednesday, that three French soldiers had been killed in Libya, this was the first occasion that the French government admitted that its troops were present in the North African region.
In a statement, the French Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said that he “regrets the loss of three French officers who died while on a mission in Libya.”
The confirmation by the French Ministry comes after multiple Libyan sources told the Associated Press (AP) on Tuesday that a helicopter which was carrying French troops had been shot down on Sunday outside the city of Benghazi in eastern Libya.
The statement by the French Minister was confirming the death of the soldiers; it is also seen as a confirmation that the French forces have a presence in Libya.