Home Reports HRW: Attacks in Benghazi are disregard of civilians’ lives

HRW: Attacks in Benghazi are disregard of civilians’ lives

617
0
SHARE
Stork: Rockets on displaced camps without military presence shows utter disregard for civilian lives - Internet

Human Rights Watch (HRW) said that targeting Tawergha camps earlier this month is a sign of disregard to lives of citizens, demanding security forces to exert more efforts to protect civilians.

“Firing rockets into displaced persons’ camps with no military present shows utter disregard for civilian lives”, said Joe Stork, deputy Middle East director.

He added that armed forces and militias need to do their utmost to protect civilians and ensure they are out of harm’s way.

A report that was published on the organization’s official website, on Sunday, called on all conflict parties to abide by laws of war.

“Those who commit, order, assist, or have command responsibility for war crimes are subject to prosecution by domestic courts or the International Criminal Court (ICC)”, the statement read.

HRW said that the Security Council members should act on that threat and “sanction individuals who are responsible for serious crimes to help keep the crisis from deteriorating further”, Human Rights Watch said.

Benghazi has been witnessing random attacks on residential areas, since 18 months that killed and wounded hundreds. Last Wednesday, a 49 years old woman was killed in a random shelling on the 7000 building.