Home News Tunis announces that IS didn’t kill Tunisian journalists

Tunis announces that IS didn’t kill Tunisian journalists

626
0
SHARE
assabah

The two Tunisian journalists, who were declared missing in Libya, then they were declared dead, after Islamic State (IS) affiliates claimed they executed them have now been confirmed to be alive, according to the Tunisian Foreign Minister Taieb Baccouche.

When speaking to Jawhara FM on Monday, Mr Baccouche said that he had “irrefutable proof” that Sofiene Chourabi and Nadhir Ktari, who have been missing since September of 2014 are alive. He added “we are trying to bring them back to Tunisia” he refused to give any further details on the case.

IS in Libya claimed to have executed the two journalists earlier this year in January. When they announced they killed them, many rallies were held across Tunisia with people calling for evidence of their deaths, which was not provided.

Chourabi, an investigative journalist and blogger who was active during Tunisia’s 2011 revolution, and photographer Ktari went missing in the Ajdabiya district of eastern Libya on 8th of September 2014.

This issue became even more complicated when the House of Representatives in Tobrok (HoR) claimed that they detained 5 IS militants who said they killed five local television reporters as well as the two Tunisian journalists.

In other news, Islamic State armed militant’s killed three Libyan army soldiers, and injured four others in an attack just outside the eastern city of Benghazi. LANA news agency said, “Three soldiers were killed and four wounded in a dawn attack carried out by terrorists linked to the Libyan branch of the Islamic State group.”

According to LANA, the attack took place about 8km south of the city of Benghazi. They added “fierce clashes between military forces and terrorist groups during which heavy and medium-sized weapons were used,”

IS also tweeted that its militants seized a tank and two military vehicles in the attack.